The New Communities Achievement Team (NCAT) works with Derby City schools, partners and voluntary organisations to support integration of EAL New Arrival families and children in Derby.
- Asylum seekers and refugees
- Roma from Central and Eastern Europe
- pupils who are new arrivals and who speak English as an additional language (EAL)
- advice, guidance and support with meeting the needs of New Arrival EAL pupils
- support for initial language assessment
- one-to-one and group / language/curriculum support for EAL new arrivals
- support for EAL pupils at risk of exclusion
- development of classroom teaching strategies including differentiation, planning and modelling of lessons
- customised in-school training
- home school liaison support
- attendance monitoring
- interpreting /translation service provision
- guidance for working with parents of new arrival EAL pupils
- parents' surgery for EAL new arrival parents at Rosehill Children's Centre
- GCSE support in community languages.
We seek to:
- facilitate the inclusion of EAL pupils
- enhance the progress of targeted pupils
- support schools in raising standards
- support schools in improving attendance
- increase professional awareness of and ability to address issues impacting EAL newly arrived pupils
- ensure that inclusion and access remains at the forefront of our work.
Adam Repesa - New Communities Achievement Team Manager
New Communities Achievement Team
Rosehill Children's Centre
The Big Building
17-19 Lowerdale Road
Phone: 01332 641305
Ewa Wolinska is part of the New Communities Achievement Team, providing family support to our school community. Ewa attends Pear Tree Infant School on Tuesdays and Fridays 9am - 12pm, no appointment is necessary. Ewa can be contacted at other times by calling the school office on 01332 767244 or the NCAT team on 01332 641305.